The time is getting closer where we will be marking the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, and many of you are looking to hold a Street Party to Celebrate.
This is a time where family, friends and members of your community will be coming to together to celebrate this event and why wouldn’t you? Queen Elizabeth will be the first British Monarch in history to celebrate 70 years on the throne!
Street Parties started in around 1919 called ‘peace teas’ for children after the 1st world war and they were always decorated that is why we have created our Platinum Jubilee Printing service.
When we take a moment and think about the enjoyment, we all experienced on VE Day, many of us are more than be ready for another neighbourhood knees up – but how do you plan a street party?
- If your street agrees, apply to Portsmouth or Havant Borough council for road closure or plan an informal street meet
- Share jobs – not one ‘organiser’ – involve everyone and invite
- Plan activities for all ages and tastes
- Plan a Street Quiz
- Bring food to share, games, chairs etc. to share if you’re having cakes then our jubilee cake boxes will shout royalty
- Music not too loud or late and cater for all tastes
- Money should not be needed or if you need to, ask neighbours for donations for a raffle on the day
- Arrange road signs, some tables and chairs etc.
- Get mementoes etc. for the Platinum Jubilee 2-5 June
- Check if insurance is needed with your council
- No licence for selling anything should be needed
- Think on “green” event ideas.
- It is unlikely to rain too much in the summer, but if unlucky watch the forecast and adjust the timings to suit. If there is a downpour, head inside until it finishes or brave it out with covers, umbrellas etc.
- Do you need a shelter from rain, wind or sun with a gazebo or marquee?
- Set up a street photo station
- You can find out more details on the government website https://www.gov.uk/organise-street-party
Why have a street party?
This is a moment in history and it’s an opportunity to make a memory that will last a lifetime. As a family run business, we know how important family is and we can’t think of anything better to bring the community together to celebrate. The street is the best place for the party, and you get to enjoy the street without cars. Kids can play safely and its suitable for all ages and backgrounds. This is a royal event, and it shows your love for the Queen and Country. We created a great banner to show just that.
No party would be complete without decorating so embrace the party vibe and transform your normally suburban street into a brightly decorated royal wonderland. We can customise your artwork with the text of your choice.
It does take some planning; all your hard work will pay off when you’re enjoying the fun and a glass of bubbly don’t forget to invite the queen!